sábado, 15 de octubre de 2011

A wet week

I am sorry that this update arrives with a little delay. But understand me, this week has been hectic. Let me brief you rapidly. I started the week on the island, as usual. The weather thoughout the week has been, simply, wet. Extremely wet. Rainy all the time. In big quantities. Believe me. We have only gone out on the field once in all the week.
On Tuesday, after a hurried crossing to get our weekly fruits and vegs delivery, we got stuck in Shimoni with no possibility to come back to the island in our small power boat due to the storm. This meant that, normally, for a crossing we only bring with us the more necessary, which is the boat equipment, because you usually get wet because the captain (in this case me) has to swim to get the boat. So, we arrived on Shimoni, no cellphone, no money, no dry clothes, no bed to sleep in (there was a squatter in mine), and a fucking storm with waves in the channel, so we couldn't cross back. Furthermore, a volunteer got sick, and my an one of my colleagues had to drive her up to Diani. Once again: no dry clothes, no cellphone, no cash. But it was fun.
Finally, on Wednesday we made our way back to the island, where they had run out of fruit during our absence. But the storm and the rain persisted. This arrived to the point in which, on Thursday night, the bridge that communicates the small peninsula where Shimoni is located with the main road was close to be submerged underwater. And what did we do? Easy: full evacuation of both bases. Everybody to Diani. Once again, a lot of fun. But at least we got time enough to pack and bring our things with us.
And now? Basically, I made my way up to Mombasa, and I have spent the day preparing a field mission to our project in Tsavo West with a group of volunteers that are going to be working there the following week, and we leave tomorrow... but I will let you know more then.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario